I have been a part of the Southern Baptist Convention for 25 years and write extensively on the integration of a Biblical Christian Worldview and our contemporary society.
On May 23, 2022, the independent Guidepost Solutions report detailing known sexual abuse within the denomination was published. To summarize,
- The report, commissioned by the Executive Committee on behalf of the Members was 288 pages, documenting sexual abuse by pastors and staff over a 20-year period.
- The outside advisory group called for the establishment of a “publicly accessible database of pastors and other church personnel, known to be abusers”
- Investigations documented that a small sub-set of the SBC Executive Committee, along with their outside attorneys, as confidential counsel, had maintained tight control over knowledge of multiple allegations of sexual abuse by local pastors, in order to avoid legal liability by the denomination.
- Instances of misconduct by clergy were exposed publicly in 2019, by an undercover report written by the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News, documenting hundreds of cases, over many years, of alleged sexual abuse.
- It is also alleged that in some instances, members of the Executive Committee of the SBC knowingly offered “autonomy” to those who had committed sexual assault, allowing them to stay in ministry.
I am very saddened by the impact a handful of men, some with self- protection in mind and some with the best of intentions, had on deeply damaging one of the last and largest Evangelical institutions in the world. This, by allowing a personal sin nature and Satan to infect their decisions.
Cancer only grows worse the longer it remains untreated.
Because of a few individuals, who rationalized that the advice of their lawyers should supersede Scripture, the radiation and chemotherapy will be devastating.
1 John 1:8-9 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
God will forgive those who are saved, and He is ultimately in control. But the damage these few men have done to the evangelical community in its uphill battle in support of a Biblical Christian worldview, will be enormous.