There have been so many taboos broken over the last few years. Opinions, terminology, and behaviors that were considered totally unacceptable just a few years ago are now not only allowed by most, but applauded by many. Consider the following list of relatively recent cultural changes taking place in America.
- Riots have been transformed into what are being termed acceptable protests.
- Racism, equity, and equality have become a divisive focus at all levels of society.
- Looting has become acceptable as a form of reparations allegedly for those who are hungry or in need of support for their families.
- No-bail policies have allowed those who break the law to continue their activities rather than be incarcerated.
- Illegal immigration has become an acceptable practice across our southern border.
- Clandestine distribution of illegal untested and unvaccinated immigrants have been flown across the country.
- There has been a reversal of our national energy security, from a net exporter of oil to an importer.
- We are experiencing raging inflation, not seen since 1990.
- A military withdrawal from Afghanistan was done without the inclusion of many civilians or military equipment.
- Drug trafficking is increasing, especially fentanyl, as a byproduct of uncontrolled border activity.
- Marijuana has become legal for either recreational or medical use in 48 states.
- Homeless encampments have become ubiquitous in our major cities.
- City blocks have been blocked off and used as temporary nation-states by protesters.
- In major cities, smash-and-grab has become acceptable as long as it is kept under $900 per incident.
- The police have been defunded, resulting in increased criminal activities, demoralization, and walkouts.
- Prisoners have been let out early.
- An increasing number of prosecutors have been reluctant to prosecute offenders of “minor” crimes.
- Social entitlement programs that promote unemployment benefits over employment have aggravated a resistance to a capitalistic work ethic.
- Schools have been accused of studying CRT and promoting gender dysphoria.
- School grading and testing, which are considered demeaning to those who do not perform well, have been removed.
- There has been increasing violence and a lack of respect for teachers in the classrooms of major city schools.
- Police have been told not to interfere in certain types of illegal activities such as looting, drug usage, vagrancy, etc.
- School board meetings have become a battleground for children’s education.
- There has been increasing acceptability by the majority of Americans of Socialism over Capitalism.
- Climate change is absorbing more and more of our national resources and GDP.
- Government control over personal freedoms of speech and actions has increased due to national emergencies (COVID).
- Social Media (Facebook, YouTube, Google, Twitter) is increasing censorship of opinions that fall outside their definition of truth.
- There is a lack of trust in media news outlets.
- Church attendance has dropped significantly.
- Finally, there is the rainbow of new gender freedoms and resulting terminology including: gender reassignment surgery, cisgender, transgender, nonbinary, bigender, birthing people, pregnant men, gender fluid, gender dysphoria, preferred name policy, LGBTQIAAP+, misgendering, pronoun misuse, intersex, etc., which have all become acceptable practices and nomenclature.
Will We Survive as a Nation?
God’s timing is perfect and He calls us not to focus on the day nor the hour of the end (Matt. 25:13). It is both impossible and, to a large degree, unproductive to dwell on the question of our survival other than to be watchful and prepared for any outcome. Christians have always been part of God’s plan for blunting the evil one. That is as true today as it has ever been. Knowing we are continuously drifting away from our Christian roots, the deterioration of our country should not come as a surprise.
It is possible God will hold back His wrath for a season and the pendulum will begin to swing back. There are signs that the American people have become tired of divisiveness, media untruths, lack of accountability, and the many other points listed above. Perhaps there will be a return to a more balanced and logical approach to the challenges which we are facing as a nation. However, it is equally possible that the Lord is currently laying a foundation for the end times, when lawlessness will ultimately reign for a season.
The bottom line for Biblical Christians is 2 Peter 1:5-11 “For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.”
The greatest expression of love we can offer to those around us is the saving truth of Jesus Christ.